Ads 468x60px

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Delft (Neduntheevu)

Delft is the largest Island out of seven Islands located in the Jaffna peninsula. It is located 42 km from Jaffna and 436 km from Colombo. It consists of 47.5 square kilometers in its area. West and South boundaries are Indian Ocean. North and East side boundaries are Velanai Divisional Secretariat administrative area. It comes under Jaffna electorate. It contains 4.61% land area of Jaffna district
Most of the people are involved in fishing, agriculture and animal rearing. Palmyra is growing naturally. The industries related to palmyra are toddy tapping and making mats production etc.

Selva Sannithi Temple

Famous tourist destination of Jaffna, the Selva Sannithi Temple is one of the well-known shrines, popular among the people of various castes and sects.
Revered as Sella Katirkāmam of the North, Selva Sannithi Murukan Temple at Thondaimanaru is situated about twenty miles north of Jaffna. Here too, as at Katirkamam, a free non-agamic environment for worship pervades the place, the waters of Thondaimanaru, where fresh water flows into the sea past the site, the temple by the side of the newly cut waterway would have been the place of worship of this settlement that got founded in the locality. The temple however suffered the fate of devastation, like all other Hindu temples, in the hands of the foreigners of the 16th century.

Jaffna Fort

Jaffna Fort is a fort built by the Portuguese at Jaffna, Sri Lanka in 1618 under Philip De Olivera following the Portuguese invasion of Jaffna. It spread over an area of 22 hectare within city limits; star shaped which is an excellent example of Dutch architecture of the period.
It was captured by the Dutch under Raiclop Van Goins in 1658 that expanded it. In 1795, it was taken over by the British, and remained under the control of a British garrison till 1948. As the only large military fort in the country, due to the presence of only government and military buildings within its ramparts, it was garrisoned by a detachment of the Ceylon Army.
With the onset of the Sri Lankan Civil War it came under siege on several occasions and was the scene of pitched battles. From 1986 to 1995 it was under the control of the LTTE and was recaptured by the Sri Lanka Army in 1995 after a 50 day siege during Operation Reverse. Today it remains garrisoned by a detachment of the Sri Lanka Army with limited access to visitors and is under renovation.
Buildings inside the fort include the Governor's residence, Queen’s House, Jaffna, the Garrison Parade Ground, Police quarters and several buildings from the Portuguese era.

Jaffna library

Jaffna library which is still considered as the symbol of Jaffna, was established in 1935 and was completely destroyed by fire in 1981. The Jaffna library is open from 8.30 AM to 5.30 PM on every day except for Mondays.
The library is built in accordance with Hindu architecture. In 1981, it was set on fire by a Singhalese crowd due to the ethnic tensions and refurbished in 2003 by the government of the country.
The burning of the Jaffna library was an important event in the Sri Lankan civil war. The library became the pride of the local people as even researchers from India and other countries began to use it for their research purposes.

Nainadevu (Nagadeepa)

Nainadevu (Nagadeepa) is a one of the small islands in the north, located at a distance of one hour journey from Jaffna town to the end of the road (Kurikadduwan Jetty) and then, we will go to Boat to reach to Nainadevu. It is a good journey & different enjoyment. It takes about 15 minutes. This is a one of the cultural place in Jaffna. Nainadevu Nagapoosani Amman Kovil & Nagadeepa Vigaraya is the famous of this place.

Nallur Kandaswamy Temple.

The Nallur Temple in Jaffna is a Hindu temple. This is one of the most important temples in the Jaffna Peninsula and the most well-known. Main deity of the temple is Lord Murugan. The Nallur Kandaswamy Kovil is situated on PointPedro road in the Nallur place of the city.